Tuesday, August 9, 2011

blueberries for sal

i've spent the past 5 weeks immersed in children's books and have decided to make a series of yarns inspired by some of my all time favourites.

from the early 80's to the early 90's (when my children were young) i illustrated 7 children's books. these included al pittman's "one wonderful fine day for a sculpin named sam", john steffler's "flights of magic" (which was nominated for a governor general's award for illustration), and robert munch's "get me another one". so children's books (and their illustrations particularly) have always inspired my imagination.

"blueberrries for sal" by robert mccloskey is a book that i loved as a child. a book my children loved. and now my grandchildren. it's about little sal and her mother going blueberry picking and encountering a mumma bear and her cub. i love the illustration of them returning home and canning the blueberries in their farm kitchen. i always think of sal when i pick blueberries


3 comments:

Marzipan Road said...

What a lovely idea! Beautiful yarn!

bluebird of paradise said...

I saw this book while we were in Maine. I wish I had bought it...

Catherine said...

Both of the books pictured are in my collection of books I kept when I retired from teaching Kindergarten. What a nice surprise to find out you were the illustrator of "Get Me Another One"!
Is "Make Way for Ducklings" in your favourites too?