Monday, May 9, 2011

a roof over our heads



this past week we finally accepted the fact that it is time for a new roof. our roof is old. and moss covered. (no, we will not be cutting down the large poplar and maple and birch trees that surround our house). the paint is beginning to peel off of the roof of our front porch so we know that damage is beginning. this is going to cost a lot of money. and there's nothing exciting about spending money on a roof. no trip to scotland (my next destination), no new bathroom (now that would be exciting!). so i try to take pleasure in the idea of a roof. a roof that protects. that covers. that holds the house together. (when you watch an abandoned shed or house decay, you know that once the roof goes, the rest follows quickly.)
i've been working on a new felt piece. about where i live. here is a detail that includes a roof.

2 comments:

LoriW said...

Everything about roofs are big. My heart went out to you already, then I read how you'd rather be travelling to Scotland...
I'm so in LOVE with everything Scotland right now - it's been at the top of my itinerary wishlist for a long time! I've often wondered if it might be a place I go and never return from?
I just recently stumbled upon Needled this past month (just noticed you follow her, too!) and love, love, love her designs, and strength.
Fingers crossed that your roofer throws in a trip to Scotland in the price :)

Unknown said...

oh wouldn't that be nice lori! we'll both get there some day...