Friday, May 28, 2010

revisiting


there was a time, a few years ago, when my major fibre activity was rug hooking. this is what i sold in my studio and in the shops. i had exhibitions of hooked mats in st. john's and toronto. my studio was filled with piles of cut-up jersey t-shirts (which i preferred to wool because of the brilliant colours). i haven't hooked a mat since i started spinning 2 1/2 years ago. my studio now holds only yarn and fleece and bottles of dye.
so, a couple of days ago, when i received an order for 2 cod mats, i had to pause and think "how did i do this?" it's like riding a bycicle. map out the image on burlap. choose colours and cut out the strips of fabric. the familiar feel of the hook. i'm actually excited to watch my hands remember.

4 comments:

Gina said...

Rug hooking is something I would love to try... when I get a few spare moments!

Taos Sunflower said...

Happy to see you hooking again. I was just thinking, the other day, about your pieces you used to do. Enjoy!

Shammickite said...

Oh good, you are rug hooking again.
Can you tell me, does your hook have a little lever on the side to hold the cloth or is it simply a hook?

Unknown said...

i just have a hook hook. (the other is used for latch hooking). traditionally here in newfoundland it would just be a bent nail into a wooden handle.