Tuesday, January 26, 2010

waitng


one of my goals for this month was to turn my attention back to my body (something that's easy to ignore when you're working flat out heading towards a craft show.) so it's been a month of medical tests - mammogram and pap and bloodwork and teeth and eyes... and this morning i have my last - a bone density scan. and then in a couple of weeks i go back to the doctor for all the results.
so this month i've spent alot of time in waiting rooms. i'm still reading dicken's little dorrit (an 800 page book!) so that's kept me occupied. but last monday, after fasting for 16 hours, i waited 3 hours for bloodwork (that includes the extra hour it took me to walk to the hospital and discover that the blood clinic was now in the centre of town). and as i sat in the waiting room with my number and listened to the complaints about the long wait, about the flaws in the system etc., i thought about haiti. about how all they can do now is wait. wait for medical attention (if and when it comes), wait for food and water and housing, wait for an uncertain future. and it made my fasting induced headache (which happens if i don't get coffee into me first thing in the morning) seem pretty insignificant.

2 comments:

bluebird of paradise said...

today I had my blood work done in the comfort of my kitchen!

Julie said...

Shawn, you can also have your blood work done at home through Tammi O'Neill at Blood works. Keith's insurance should cover all but $3.00 and she comes right to the house.

No line ups or waiting at all.

Julie