Saturday, January 9, 2010

i see


2 years ago i was diagnosed with early onset macular degeneration. my mother was blind when she died so this news was devastating. i felt all i could do was try to slow down the progress - eat tonnes of greens, take lutein vitamins and wear sunglasses whenever i was in bright light.
yesterday i went for a check-up. this time to a new doctor. and there is no sign of the disease. either i had a misdiagnoses the first time or what i was doing reversed it. either way, i'm in heaven. i'll continue the regime (because, having this disease in my family makes me at higher risk.) and now my future is "looking" brighter...

6 comments:

Urve Manuel said...

Great news!!!

nancyj said...

shawn, I am SO happy your eyes are OK. What news!

ps this post finally evokes a response from me... my first ever.

Taos Sunflower said...

Congratulations on your good checkup...I can only imagine your angst last year. One of my dearest elderly friends for many years here in Taos had a severe case (she was legally blind). She listened to audio books all day, and spun miles of beautiful yarns and wove blankets. In her "off" time, she knitted lace scarves with her own handspun lace weight. One time she had dismantled a scarf I had seen on a previous visit. When I asked why...she told me because she had found a mistake. "How could you see it?" I ask...to which she replied that she could feel it. When the scarf was finished, it was gorgeous. What an inspiration she was/is to me!

LoriW said...

Brilliant news!

Stitching Upstairs said...

So glad to hear the good news. My mother (still living)has lost sight in one eye because of macular degeneration and of course I have those same concerns.

Andrea said...

Yay! What wonderful news for the New Year. Very poetic I think.
Andrea