Wednesday, January 20, 2010

heart like a wheel


on monday kate mcgarrigle died of cancer at the age of 63.
in 1975 i moved to a small (pop. 2000) newfoundland community. i was a young wife. a young mother. i had no close friends or family there. every day my young husband would head into town and i would be alone with my children. we brought with us from toronto a large record collection. mostly classical music. but there were a few contemporary records too. lightfoot. dylan. cohen. and the mcgarrigle sisters. these were my friends. i'd put them on and do housework to them. i would dance my babies on my hip to them. they would remind me of who i was. i feel like i've lost an old friend.

2 comments:

Taos Sunflower said...

This is truly a big loss. Thanks for letting me know. I was just re-watching the Leonard Cohen show "I'm your man" the other day, and thinking about how many of my favorite musicians are from Canada.

Suzanna said...

Thank you very much for posting this. Beginnings and endings...her song brings back so so many memories.