Sunday, January 31, 2010

the good china



growing up in post-war wasp toronto suburbia, most homes had a set of "good" china and the pattern of choice was "blue willow" - a "chinese" design manufactured in britain. the good china (combined with the "good" silver - usually a wedding gift kept in a wooden red velvet lined box) would be brought out in our home at christmas and maybe thanksgiving. in some homes (like that of my church-going ex-inlaws) it was also used for sunday dinner. the good china didn't last in our home. my mother tired of things quickly. if she felt it was time for new dishes, she would allow us to smash the old ones into boxes to put out in the garbage and make room for the new set. but in my mind, nothing ever replaced the blue willow. as a child i would get lost in the imagery.

1 comment:

Taos Sunflower said...

You captured it perfectly in your yarn. I remember that box of silver...I had to polish that stuff when I was in trouble...even though we never used it.