Friday, October 16, 2009

what i loved about montreal. day 3








my third and final day in montreal we spent in old downtown montreal. my son and his girlfriend both studied history (she is presently doing her phd in history - city planning) so they were perfect guides. montreal was established as a fortified "city" in the 1640's and there are still buildings dating from that time. many of the roads and sidewalks are still brick. it was a clear crisp autumn day. outdoor cafes and buskers and sidewalk portrait artists (the great dane dog in the photo had just had his portrait done). the ghoulish hallowe'en decorations in the photo were the best i've ever seen and seemed to fit right in. i took alot of photos of architectural details (architecture is not what my home town is noted for so this was inspiring!)
of course 3 days in montreal were not enough. i didn't get to any museums or galleries. but i have "the groundwork" in my head now and know what to do on my next visit.

1 comment:

Taos Sunflower said...

Thanks for sharing Montreal. I want to go there so badly...I've seen parts of it in movies only. I love the French language and being around French speaking people. I love the old streets and the architecture. Most of all, I'm with you on coffee, and I want to go find that coffee and those croissant!