Friday, September 4, 2009

rethinking "lean manufacturing"



after only 2 days of producing 12 batts at a time to make 3 similar skeins (so that i wouldn't have to be thinking up new colour/texture combinations for each skein, organize different supplies each time etc.) i realized it wasn't for me. i became bored and wasn't enjoying the process. even with the first skein i was thinking "i have 2 more to do" and by the last i wasn't excited about any of it. it was wonderful to have 3 complete skeins (1 for my etsy shop/saturday market/toronto one of a kind show in nov., 1 for my craft council order and 1 for me to knit up), but what was missing was the constant creativity and excitement about what i was doing. and i realized that i love following the process through from start to finish and having a finished product in a short period of time rather than an "assembly line" of stages. yesterday i spoke with brenda stratton who knows an incredible amount about producing and selling craft and she said "no - lean manufacturing doesn't mean producing work in stages. she gave toyota as an example of a company that makes only one car at a time. and that made me feel better. so yesterday i made up and spun this gorgeous big batt "love hurts".

3 comments:

bluebird of paradise said...

never do the same thing twice. what a good philosophy!

Brenda Stratton said...

Well I'm not sure if I know an incredible (needs to be in italics) amount, but...I'm glad you think so highly of what I say. :) Either way Shawn the work is beautiful.

Taos Sunflower said...

It's a fine line to walk, isn't it. It's why I don't want to do regular colorways like most dyers do. I would simply fall over from boredom. Following your heart is always the best...look where it has already taken you. XOXO