Tuesday, July 22, 2008

the city wakes up

when i was 17 i moved from north of toronto to the core of the city. walking to work early every day (cashier at loblaws at yonge and bloor) i thrilled at the city waking up. the shop owners hosing down the sidewalks. the fruit and vegetable stands being set up. all the sounds, the sights a little louder and brighter.
when i was 21 i travelled in europe for a year and again - early morning in the cities - delivery trucks and the smell of diesel fuel. bread being baked. fresh and smartly dressed people balancing their coffees and their briefcases. the click of high heels on the sidewalk.
now i live in corner brook, newfoundland (pop. just under 20,000). when i water my container plants. the sun low and brand new. i think of early morning in the city...

1 comment:

Shammickite said...

you may think of early morning in the City, but I bet you don't regret leaving it all behind and coming to live in Corner Brook! I live far enough north of Toronto that I can enjoy the country mornings, but I can go to the city if I need to.... which isn't often.
Yonge and Bloor... YUK!
Are you still regarded as a CFA or are you a local by now?